Theodore D. VanderWall, CPA is a licensed and fully credentialed Orland Park CPA with deep experience to get the job done.

We offer a high level of service that is tailored to pursue the needs of our clients. Call us at 708-403-3435

Business Acounting Services in Orland Park
HomeClient SupportFrequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)What should I keep for charitable contribution records?

What should I keep for charitable contribution records?

You must contribute to a qualified tax-exempt organization. Charities will let you know if they have received their 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status. Some organizations are not required to obtain 501(c)(3) status from the IRS. These include churches and other religious organizations.


You should keep all documents regarding donations to charity. This includes both cash and non-cash contributions. Under the Pension Protection Act, taxpayers are required have receipts from the charity, a canceled check, or credit card statement to prove their donation. No tax deduction will be allowed if the taxpayer cannot provide any supporting documentation. You will not need to mail in the receipts with their tax return. Instead, keep receipts and other documentation with your copy of the tax return in the event of an IRS audit.


What Records You Need to Keep


For cash contributions under $250, be sure to keep the following records:

  • Canceled check, bank statement, or credit card statement showing the amount paid, date paid, and the name of the charity to which you gave money;
  • Written receipts or acknowledgment letters from the charity showing the date and the amount of your contribution; and
  • Any other documentation or records that would establish the date and the amount you contributed.


For cash contributions of $250 or more, you must have a written acknowledgment from the charity before you can deduct the contribution on your tax return. Be sure to keep all acknowledgment letters from charities with your tax records.


Acknowledgment letters must state the following:

  • Amount of cash you donated,
  • Whether the charity provided any goods or services in exchange for your donation, and
  • Description and good faith estimate of the value of goods or services that the charity provided to you.


Keeping Records of Non-Cash Contributions


For donations of property, you must keep records to establish what you donated, its condition, its fair market value, and the amount of your tax deduction. Your records must indicate:

  • Name and address of the charity,
  • Date and location of the contribution,
  • Description of the property donated,
  • Fair market value of the property and how you figured the value, and
  • Amount claimed as a tax deduction.


For non-cash contributions worth $250 to $500, you will also need a written acknowledgment letter from the charity to substantiate your deduction.


For non-cash contributions worth $500 to $5,000, you will need to keep records that establish:

  • How you acquired the property (such as purchase or inheritance)
  • Date you acquired the property
  • Your cost or adjusted basis in the property


For non-cash contributions of $5,000 or more, you will need a written appraisal from a qualified appraiser to substantiate the value of your deduction.


The new law also toughens the rules for non-cash donations. Donated items, such as cars, clothing, and household goods, must be in good condition. No tax deduction is allowed for items in less than good condition. You should keep a detailed list of the non-cash goods you donated to charity, along with a description of their condition.


Not Tax Deductible


Contributions are not tax deductible if given to any of the following:

  • Political parties, political campaigns, or political action committees.
  • Contributions given to individual people.
  • Fees or dues paid to professional associations.
  • Contributions to labor unions, chambers of commerce, or business associations.
  • Contributions to for-profit schools and hospitals.
  • Contributions to foreign governments.
  • Fines or penalties paid to local or state governments.
  • The value of your time for services rendered to a non-profit.